- A clear vision, a strategy
- Clear expression, good communication, remains lucid
- Action on their plans and buy in from the team members
- Ability to handle stress, judgement, pressure
- Reflective - able to be objective (someone who doesn't respond to stress with passivity or aggressiveness)
- Strong convictions
- Role models behaviour, values and words to influence others possitively
- Experience and empathy for others' opinions, keeping an open mind
- Be humane, compassionate
- Seeks out the best, aims for excellence
- Detail oriented - focusing attention on each detail
It's quite a list and very demanding. He clearly is the epitome of each bullet point.
The last one is interesting to me - when does detail oriented stray into micro-management.
In the book he says that he knows all of the secrets into the building of the Emirates stadium. He was clearly involved every step of the way in its construction but I don't get the sense that he micro-managed the project. In fact, how could he? He was managing Arsenal to 19 Champion League qualifications along the way.
Detail oriented. I like that.