Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Everyone deserves a chance to walk with everyone else (Family Of The Year)

Photo by Mitchell Luo on Unsplash

While talking to a colleague recently about her husband's twists and turns to school leadership (he was rescued from a lesser life by a teacher who saw his potential and encouraged him to see a better future) reminded me of a few things.

The question that opens this blog for one: What was the duty of the teacher if not to inspire?

For another my own background: as I failed school no one gave up on me. Ever. No one said - you've failed everything. I think you're done.

As a very young teacher, I remember once at Macleans College making a big mistake with a student - she wanted to be Head Girl and I tried to temper her ambitions because I wasn't sure it was realistic. Her sister, quite rightly, took me to task and I felt ashamed and apologised. 

You know the ending - she became Head Girl! 

And I relearnt a valuable lesson.

Whaia kia maia. Never give up, never surrender!

No comments: