|I'm off on my learning journey|
Ten buzzwords to look out for and avoid like the, erm, covid-19 (courtesy of Dan Rockwell's blogpost):
- New normal. (No comment.)
- Synergy. If you plan to work together say, “We’re working together.”
- Circle back. The translation of, “Let’s circle back on this,” is, I don’t want to talk about this, and I don’t plan to.
- Take this offline. Give me a break. We do everything online.
- Pivot. How important do we have to sound?Even Friends made fun of it! The word is 'change' or 'adjust'.
- Unprecedented. Nothing is unprecedented. Compared to the Spanish Flu, Covid is precedented.
- Think outside the box. Anyone who says, “Think outside the box,” isn’t groovy.
- Bandwidth. I don’t have enough bandwidth. You’d have more bandwidth if you stopped using stupid words.
- Deep Dive. I’ve used several of the expressions on this list. Thankfully, I haven’t stooped so low as to take a Deep Dive into ridiculous buzzwords.
- Thought leader. This one is a cousin to influencer.
- Game-changer - at the moment it's being applied to successive covid-19 variants - people getting sick and dying isn't a game.
- Move the dial - the object is to improve, right?
- Fake it till you make it and its cousin - build the plane while flying it - I'd rather not please - I'm a nervous flyer as it is. I want my pilot to be very skilled and experienced, and I want a plane that is fit for purpose.
- Learning curve and learning journey - we're a bunch of new hobos getting on freight trains?
- Rolling out - why? 'Implement' gets the job done.
- Above my pay grade - cop out.
- And a bonus one - a hardy perennial - Going forward - what are we? Sharks? Try 'in the future' or 'from now on' - same or fewer number of syllables.