Tuesday, May 30, 2023

I wonder what the teacher will look like this year (Van Halen)

Photo by Mimi Thian on Unsplash


Teaching is vastly different to the profession I entered forty years ago (1983 - New Plymouth Boys' High School).

Computers, the internet, a variety of apps and learning platforms, AI, 24/7 access to great professional development, anytime/anywhere learning. That's just a few that immediately spring to mind.

The skills required to be an effective teacher are all the ones there have always been, plus a vast new set of skills required because of those things I've listed.

I'm quite glad I started in 1983, rather than 2023. Bureaucratic demands have multiplied exponentially over those 40 years.

Students haven't changed much though. Some teenagers still test the boundaries on a daily basis and the peak engagement years remain Year 7 and 8. Teacher guilt is still alive and well too (I could have taught that so much better, am I reaching everyone? etc etc).

And leading a school is still an almighty challenge - let me assure you!

No comments: