Friday, September 18, 2026

Per Angusta ad Augusta (through hardship to glory)

Coogee Peters  


One of my former teachers at Mt Albert Grammar School passed away this week. Jim Peters (for some arcane reason, better known to us turd formers as Coogee Peters, and as Winston's brother) was my social studies teacher in the third form (Year 9).

It wasn't his fault that I came 35th out of 35 in that class. This was back in the day (1971 to be precise) when marks were read out in class and then your placing in class. I can still picture myself squirming in my seat as it happened. That naked statistic then appeared on my end of year report.

As an undergraduate, I did some history papers at stages one and two, and then, at Auckland Secondary Teachers' College, I trained to teach English and social studies.

I've only taught social studies twice over the last four+ decades - my first year teaching in 1983 and, hilariously, this year! Funny how things work out.

I'm sure Coogee (a real gentleman) would be tickled to know all that.

No comments: