![]() |
| Photo by Alfiano Sutianto on Unsplash |
Currently, my Year 11 students are writing a piece on a trip or a journey they've undertaken as part of a Going Places unit. They could fictionalise their story, but only one student has followed that path.
So many of them have struggled with this activity, even though they have been on incredible overseas trips. For various reasons they struggle to commit to even a tentative start.
Surprisingly, their memory of even quite recent events is often vague. I asked a few students if they have ever kept a travel diary/journal, or if their parents did and they looked at me with a blank expression. When I said I did and that I could easily find notes on various trips I've made they looked at me as if I was clearly mad - like this was the most perplexing thing they'd ever heard.
Given the amount of money their parents have paid for these foreign trips, I find it quite sad that they have little to no memory of them.
Plenty of lessons to be learned.
I'm reading Dr. Ian Hunter's latest book on fixing the problem of student writing. Hopefully, he slips me the answer.

No comments:
Post a Comment