Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Start me up (The Rolling Stones)

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash


New starts.

I've just started a new job - fixed term for this year at Hastings' Boys' High School. Teaching English. It was a good start on Monday, but aside from a fire alarm evacuating the school during my first period, nothing really dramatic happened. It was just a new start in a new job.

I do remember a few new starts extremely vividly.

First day at Royal Oak Primary in 1962.

First day at Mt Albert Grammar in 1971.

The first day in my first job at New Plymouth Boys' in 1983. I smiled so much and shook so many hands, I hurt.

Interestingly, after that, I don't really remember starting new jobs apart from my last one at OneSchool Global in 2017 when I got the day wrong!

I'm much more able to remember interviews for jobs. 

The phone call from Tom Rider (New Plymouth Boys') in 1982; The Colin Prentice interview (Macleans); the phone call with Aileen Ambler (Waimea); the MAGS one with Hensman and Taylor; Cambridge High with the panel - I even remember some of Alison's questions and my responses....and so on. In fact I remember them all.

But not the actual first day on the job. So, I don't get anxious or nervous about starting afresh. When I get into the car to drive to the school I just feel a lightness, because I know the hard bit - winning the job - is over.

Same deal this week.

No comments: