Saturday, February 10, 2024

My favourite things (Rodgers and Hammerstein)

Coltrane's famous quartet (Elvin, Jimmy and McCoy)


The benefits of collaboration are many and varied. 

I'm listening to John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy playing on Evenings at the Village Gate as I write this and they couldn't have sounded this awesome without McCoy Tyner on piano, Reggie Workman on bass and Elvin Jones on drums.

The five musicians together form and sustain an intensely symbiotic, creative whole.

Same thing goes in sorts of other arenas. Including school.

Paradoxically - selfishly, I get a personal buzz from collaborating with others. It's great for thinking beyond the usual. Ideas can be explored beyond what I would come up with on my own.

It's a social occasion, too, therefore it's often a lot of fun - especially in my current environment.

Collaboration is all about relationships. Everybody finds their comfort zone being challenged in a collaborative environment.

Back to Coltrane Dolphy et al. Greensleeves is a favourite of mine and unbelievable on this album!! Just five people in tune with each other. 

Collaboration at its finest!

No comments: