The Leadership Freak blog by the wonderful Dan Rockwell recently highlighted this distinction.
His painful list included:
These unattractive characteristics don't require any further explanation.
According to Dan, on the other side of the leadership coin (yes, I know, it's not a binary situation but this is still cool and relevant) are leaders who:
- Care deeply about relationships - (it’s not just results)
- Invite and act on feedback
- Advance the agenda of others, without sacrificing your own
- Understand the difference between advising and advocating
- Say what others fear saying
I'll be aiming to keep these two models in mind as I move back into a senior leadership role for 2017.