Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Here comes the flood (Peter Gabriel)

There are lies, damned lies and statistics - Mark Twain.

We've reached that point of the school year where you find me knee deep in statistics.

Yes indeed.

It's medication time! A.K.A. annual report writing time! 



The actual report takes me a fair old while to write. I need to remember a load of places and techniques from the year before to find the right statistics and then comment on them.

I was busy explaining this to She Who Must Be Obeyed after she wondered how my day was, and she asked me a great question: is it worthwhile (meaning - does it affect/change what you do)?

And the resounding answer from me was - YES! Actually. It is!

Doing this report for the Board Of Trustees has resulted in some clear and definitive changes in how our English department operates. We needed to be better at certain things (even though our results were pretty good overall).

Now, doing my English report for last year has given me an overwhelming feeling that we have made the right changes.

Einstein: definition of insanity - doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

We made changes last year - not universally popular ones in my department it has to be acknowledged, but they were great changes!

I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments: