Thursday, March 16, 2023

Got some good advice to give you, lots of things you oughta know (Ry Cooder)


As you all know, I'm fond of that expression, "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you".

An example of each for your edification:

It's been a tough old week, I'm bound to say. Graduation Week for last year's Year 13 class is always manic, stressful, and challenging time wise. 

It's over for another year, thank goodness. Today's ceremony was fine, I felt. Only a couple of stuff ups on my part.

My stuff ups are so public and I've learnt to let them go fairly quickly. I remarked to someone today before the ceremony that when you're on stage it's like you're in quicksand. The harder you struggle over blemishes the worse it gets.

The glare of the lights in your face, the need for total awareness makes my brain jump quickly to decisions - right or wrong. And there's no walking them back.

One parent caught one of the stuff ups which I hadn't noticed at the time. Even if I had noticed I would have had to just swallow hard and keep going.

The bear didn't eat all of me...

This week, I've also completed that 6 week leadership course. Pretty good going given this is week 5 of the course. I really enjoyed it but I won't miss the extra layer of challenge to get all the usual things done.

No comments: