Tuesday, August 17, 2021

You better think (think) think about what you're trying to do to me. Yeah, think (think, think), let your mind go, let yourself be free (Aretha Franklin)

Photo by Japheth Mast on Unsplash

I'm almost through my current round of teacher observations.

They've been in the form of ten minute walk-throughs and I highly recommend that format. Less is more.

Ten minutes is tons of time to form some opinions around how the teacher and class are going.

Yes, it can be subjective at times but my favourite time in the ten minutes is asking a few students why they are learning what they are learning (be it subtraction, addition, how to make connections in texts, spelling, typing skills and so on).

In my experience, few teachers overtly explain why they are doing what they are doing, nonetheless students invariably understand why. I've had some great answers to that question in my observations so far this term.

One funny exception: I asked one girl in a junior class why she was learning how to type? She tilted her head up, looked at the ceiling and fully considered the question for thirty seconds (try counting to thirty - it's a long time) before saying, I'm not sure. 

Bam! Pure gold.

No comments: