Sunday, September 20, 2020

Listen, do you want to know a secret? (The Beatles)

Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

It really bothers me when I'm talking to someone and they are scanning the room looking for the next person to talk to.

Whenever I attended parties back in the day (okay, yes, it was a long time ago, I admit) it was often a girl or guy distracted by the pretty face entering the room.

I like to feel valued. Who doesn't?

Here's some useful advice if you're easily distracted or not a good listener:

Pretend that every single person you encounter has a sign around their neck that says, ‘make me feel important.’

Here's some more (mostly good advice) courtesy of Dan Rockwell's blog:
  • Put away your cell phone.
  • Notice something good about everyone.
  • Stop looking around. Eye contact signals interest and respect.
  • Ask, “How did you learn to do that?”
  • Speak hard truths with forward-facing kindness. [Yeah, I don't know what that means either]
  • Seek input/advice. “What do you think?”
  • Provide useful feedback.

No comments: