Thursday, November 1, 2018

Safe mode

Photo by Sam Rudkin-Millichamp on Unsplash
Thanks to a training course I went on during the week, my brain has been consumed by safeguarding issues since then.

For my New Zealand viewers, safeguarding refers to protecting children from abuse and maltreatment, preventing harm to children's health or development, ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and effective care.

It was eye opening, exhaustive and exhausting.

The course was run by Sutton Council and the two presenters were extremely knowledgeable and remarkably interesting given they deliver this course often to educators.

I came away with two thoughts as I pootled back to school:

  • There ain't half a lot of sickos out there
  • Everyone I saw on the drive I regarded with suspicion

Given my well documented naivete - it was a well timed wake up call.

I hope I never have to use the training in my role (relentless positivity) but, sadly, my past experience tells me that's a forlorn hope.

No comments: