Tuesday, March 14, 2017

What a dream I had, pressed in organdy (Simon and Garfunkel)


This may be an ever so slightly unsexy topic to post on but Professional Development is all about life-long learning.

I place great value on stretching my learning, so it's partly why I changed jobs to a school environment that more fully supports my unique PD needs.

Already, in the past 6 weeks, I have been to a two day conference and participated on an interview panel to find a new Regional Principal.

In addition, every Wednesday we close the school at 2.10pm for a staff PD session. I like how this central location and time allocation is deemed a vital part of our week. 

As Samuel Mormando wrote recently, 'for PD to be meaningful and relevant, it must constantly be reshaped to meet the needs of every teacher-and C.H.O.I.C.E can help'.

C.H.O.I.C.E stands for Constant Progress, Honoring Professionals, Ongoing, Individualized, Collaborative, and Energizing. 

It's the aconym used at Garnet Valley school and it also applies to our endeavours at Westmount (Kaipara Campus).

We need to keep it in mind, and apply it as well as can, for every Wednesday session.

No comments: