Wednesday, March 2, 2022

I'm a problem child, I'm a problem child, yes I am (AC/DC)

Photo by Michał Parzuchowski on Unsplash

Each year there are a few tricky students who need special attention. They seem to come in twos for me.

They are students, always boys, who, I find, need extra emphasis on structure and organisation to become more self-directed.

They are not easy problems/challenges to solve. It's complicated.

Difficult problems, as Seth Godin knows, 'stick around until someone with insight, dedication and commitment shows up and gets to work', and, 'seeking out difficult problems is far more effective than avoiding them'.

Not that we avoided difficult problems in previous years, but it usually took the first term to figure out who they were. This year we identified our two students early (much earlier than last year) and began regular weekly meetings to check on study plans and progress in each of their subjects. 

Using a meeting template, being methodical and immediately communicating with relevant people (the student, parents, relevant teachers, support staff, Learning Coach) is really helping.

Thankfully, I don't have a teaching class this year so I now have the time to do this properly.

It feels good!

No comments: