Friday, February 17, 2012

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress, running, like a watercolour in the rain (Al Stewart)

I resigned from my job this week (for personal reasons) and will be back in Nu Zild permanently at the end of March. 


I was dreading the conversations that inevitably go with a resignation. The two biggies were my local Cognition boss (Cognition is extremely hierarchical in structure and I’ve lost count of how many bosses I have) and Mohamed, the school principal where I advise.

But as is usually the case, the reality was far less blood splattered than the day-dreamed conversations I had been having in my head. Both men were understanding and supportive, which was great.


But it doesn’t take too long for self-interest to kick in and suddenly five minutes into my announcement I’m reassuring them that things will be completed before I leave (my boss) and that the new Lead Advisor will be in place after I leave and that person will be equally as awesome as I have been (Mohamed). Ha ha – just joking.


Graveyards are full of indispensable people and by July I will be a memory as far as the company goes.  But not with Mohamed. He is keen to visit me in NZ on the farm and he means what he says. He calls me his brother and although that is how I am often referred to by others (as in, “Good morning brother”), Mohamed and I have been on the same wavelength since day one. He is a very similar Principal to me in terms of style and approach. We have definitely been simpatico.

I will really miss him and the other staff and I must confess I got a bit misty eyed in his office – must have been the AC.


It’s a bitter/sweet feeling. Parting is always such sweet sorrow. I would have liked to have finished the contract at its end point in July but circumstances have made that impossible.


My reality is that I have five weeks left until the end of the Trimester. Work-wise - I want to end with everything firmly in place for my replacement. I also need to complete all the leaving protocols – close accounts, return the rental car, get a police clearance – all that sort of thing.


It will be a busy time before returning home where my first purchase will be a Maple tree (then chickens and cat with Jade and SWMBO’s help).


After the conversations there were the usual decisions - who do I tell? When?


And now, of course, there is the beginning of lame duck status to look forward to. What fun.

No comments: