Sunday, September 4, 2016

Lots of people talkin', few of them know (Led Zeppelin)

I'm human. I can only concentrate on one task at a time.

My focus determines my reality. If I'm truly focused (playing football, reading a book, watching a film, talking to someone on the phone) I never hear my wife talking to me. Ever.

I can't multi-task.

But here's the thing, nor can anyone else!! Even my wife!


Focus doesn't work that way.

Multi-tasking is more than walking and chewing gum, Multi-tasking involves concentrating on doing more that two things at once at a higher level.

Try talking one on one to a colleague about something important and texting someone else at the same time. Won't happen. Scratch that - it could happen but the text and/or the conversation will be a train wreak.

A study at the University Of London showed that subjects who multi-tasked while performing cognitive tasks experienced significant IQ drops. In fact, the IQ drops were similar to what you see in individuals who skip a night of sleep or who smoke marijuana.

But wait, there's more - new research suggests the possibility that cognitive damage associated with multi-tasking could be permanent.

So, multi-tasking is bad for all of us. Even women!! 

Try telling that to my wife, and she won't believe you!!

2 comments:

A lady who's sure said...

Neuroscience evidence suggests..."Scientists found women are better at multi-tasking but men are better at concentrating on a single task after they scanned the brains of 949 people" - Perhaps the author is somewhat 'Dazed and confused?'

Wozza said...

Well done ALWS - you got the song right! That women can multi-task thing is a sham. In fact it's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.