Week 8, Term 3...hhmmmm...must be practice exam time, right?
I am not a fan of Benchmark exams.
- They mess with my routines
- The marking trebles
- Exams (hand writing essays while sitting for hours) are not cool in the personalised blended educational world of 2016
And yet, I am a fan of Benchmark exams.
- They give the students new routines to embed
- Students get quality feedback on their progress
- Exams provide an individual snapshot of an ability to think on the spot in the personalised blended educational world of 2016
See, I do get it!
Mention of routines reminds me of this, the habit loop, from the Ditch That Textbook mastermind - Matt Miller:
We are a creature of our habits. Duhigg breaks down how practically any habit works in this cycle:
- Something triggers a routine in your life (the cue).
- You perform that routine.
- You get some reward (the reason you keep doing the routine).
- If the trigger didn’t exist, we would never engage in that habit.
Top tip - read that Buddha quote again!