Thursday, April 6, 2023

Baby, you can drive my car (The Beatles)

Photo by Mars Williams on Unsplash


James Clear's quote about ambition and entitlement rang a bell last week. As I travelled between a few of my campuses I heard his wise words echoing in my brain.

"Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want."

Although it's a binary construction and I freely acknowledge that this is a generalization, in every school I have worked in there are students and staff who are working diligently to make a difference and there are those who expect others to do the work for them.
 
The solution to that situation is to reward ambition and help lead the entitled towards self-realization, and not leap in and solve the issue for them (the natural inclination). 

The sense of accomplishment needs to be fostered, otherwise the entitled just get stronger.

No comments: