Sunday, April 30, 2023

A manager sets objectives, organizes, motivates, and communicates, sets yardsticks, and measures to develop people (Peter Drucker)

Photo by Jan Huber on Unsplash

As part of my teacher inquiry I'll continue to analyse some key words/ concepts:

  • Strategic leadership of the CP
  • Line management of the CP
  • Mentoring the CP
  • Coaching the CP
  • Supporting the CP

Today - line management

Line managers directly manage other employees and day-to-day operations while reporting to a higher ranking manager.

The operative word here is 'directly'. Heads of departments directly manage their teachers, my Primary Lead Teacher directly manages her team, and, as CP, I directly manage the staff at my campus.

Each of my three CP's is directly responsible for:
  • Following the recruitment process with HR and selecting the appropriate candidates. 
  • Professional development and coaching of their staff. 
  • Completing the performance appraisal for their staff. 
  • The day to day running of their campus which includes running Lean meetings, motivating their staff, monitoring their well-being and building the team culture. 
  • The campus goals are also their responsibility. 
  • Adopting (with the support of senior management) any type of organisational culture change.

In summary: I don't have the ability (or the desire) to directly micro-manage my district's CPs. In short - they are line managers of their own campus teams. I do have an interest in helping the CP's build a positive campus culture, but I think that falls more in the coaching area than direct line-management.

I can see how the term applies to the UK situation as their District Principals do not have a home campus to lead, but in OSG NZ's case this term has a very limited application to the work of District Principals. 

Next up: Mentoring

No comments: