|Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash|
It really bothers me when I'm talking to someone and they are scanning the room looking for the next person to talk to.
Whenever I attended parties back in the day (okay, yes, it was a long time ago, I admit) it was often a girl or guy distracted by the pretty face entering the room.
I like to feel valued. Who doesn't?
Here's some useful advice if you're easily distracted or not a good listener:Pretend that every single person you encounter has a sign around their neck that says, ‘make me feel important.’
- Put away your cell phone.
- Notice something good about everyone.
- Stop looking around. Eye contact signals interest and respect.
- Ask, “How did you learn to do that?”
- Speak hard truths with forward-facing kindness. [Yeah, I don't know what that means either]
- Seek input/advice. “What do you think?”
- Provide useful feedback.