Sunday, September 6, 2020

I've seen this place before, a thousand times or more (Joe Molland)

Photo by Lubo Minar on Unsplash

An interesting week
 has just passed at school with a couple of almost noteworthy thoughts entering my consciousness that, for some reason, I feel inclined to share with y'all.

  1. First thought is around exam invigilation. Yes, it's that time again - mock exams/ practice exams/ benchmark exams/ mid-year exams - whatever you want to call them it still adds up to braindead invigilation for teachers. It struck me again how things haven't changed since the days I was doing these things. In fact, the only difference I can see is the appearance of water bottles. All students have these now, lined up on their desks with their pens and test papers, but back in the seventies I would have been laughed out of MAGS if I'd fronted up with one. Funny old world innit!
  2. On Tuesday, I had to attend a three hour zoom on risk management for my Hastings campus, then, a day later, I had to attend another three hour zoom on risk management for my Gisborne campus. I hadn't been looking forward to it especially - nor was I dreading it. It was just something I had to do. Then the unexpected happened: I actually really enjoyed each one. Why was that? Well, during and afterwards, it struck me as a vitally important thing to be concerned about, and as my name is attached to each action I was an especially eager participant. I was also included in all the discussions, as, sensibly, the presenter didn't lecture us for three hours. For me the time went quickly and now I'm heavily invested in getting the risk management side of things nailed down for both campuses. Extraordinary. 

No comments: