Tuesday, February 25, 2020

I will wait, I will wait for you (Mumford and Sons)

Photo by Evangeline Shaw on Unsplash
Currently, there is some lively debate happening within my school around the 'lesson' (teacher led activities) versus 'study' (student directed activities). 

Mainly we are thinking about the balance that is needed for each. What we have agreed, as a school, is that it needs to be flexible,  and it shouldn't be 100% anything.  

However, it wouldn't be teaching if everyone had the same opinion. Each teacher appears to have taken a different approach. And everyone tends to think that their approach is the right one. Interesting.

During my reflecting on all this, I remembered this useful info-graphic.
I like this and it's worth keeping in mind for a few reasons:

  • The student is at the centre, with specific and individualised goals, needs and preferences
  • Self paced implies a lot of student directed activities (study) rather than a lot of teacher led activities, I think
  • The one on one teacher tutorials are an important part of the process
  • Feedback is a key ingredient (John Hattie agrees)

No comments: