Thursday, August 11, 2016

I'll be your savior, steadfast and true, I'll come to your emotional rescue (The Rolling Stone)


According to an article I read recently by Katrina Schwartz on Mind/Shift, it appears that... 
'Sometimes English class can seem like an endless litany of literary devices and structured argumentative essays. But that’s not why most English teachers love what they teach — they love the way art reflects real life in all its confusion, pain and difficulty. In fact, some argue that the emotional side of literature should be explicitly taught as part of the curriculum.' (My emphasis btw).
Boyhood is the film that my Year 13 English class have decided on for their Response to Film external examination.

It's a brilliant film that I am loving more and more every time I see it.

There are no really big dramatic moments in it - just the human ups and downs of life - all the confusion, pain, difficulty, moments of failure, moments of success that make up a life. 

The things we all experience.

One of my students doesn't connect to the film (although she connects to Paul - the weird kid in the street who swears back at the kids when they ask him, mischievously, to tell them a joke). Not everyone will. I knew that going in. But she gets that I do. She knows that it's a Purdzilla film. And she's right.

Okay, yes, there are the popular culture references between the generations that I love, and the chemistry between the characters is obvious, as well as the content that is largely positive and real (the discussion about social media as Mason Junior drives springs to mind), all contribute to make a great film.

Finding the 'right' film to study is never easy. Having taught my favourite film before I can confirm that it doesn't really work. Pelle the Conqueror to a senior class at Mt Albert Grammar in case you were wondering.  

Boyhood, even though it's rapidly becoming a favourite film, is working out for the most part.

Teaching English is GREAT!!

No comments: