Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Up tight thoughts into the state of my mind (The Phoenix Foundation)

The joy of reading!

I've always loved to read stuff (comics, books, magazines, newspapers mainly)

It came as a bit of a shock to read a blogpost recently about how teachers kill the joy of reading and find out I may be guilty of this crime.

The blogger (Mark Barnes) highlighted 6 ways we kill reading.

Here they are:

1 Clinging to the classroom novel - it eliminates choice. Guilty!
2 The don't-read-ahead directive. Mark -  why would a teacher ever tell a child to stop reading–especially when he chooses to do so outside of class? Not Guilty!
3 Telling kids what they can't read (as I said - comics, graphic novels - whatever gets you going - it's alright with me - so Not Guilty!
4 Not reading in class daily. Mark - Readers read daily; it’s this simple. Guilty!
5 Assigning worksheets and book reports. Mmm himm - Guilty!
6 Not celebrating the joy of reading. Not in an overt way so - Guilty again.

That makes four out of six guilty verdicts. 

According to Mark I'm killing the joy of reading. I need to stop because I love reading.

No comments: