Thursday, November 24, 2022

Lessons from football leadership



I measure my life in four year FIFA World Cup cycles. As billions around the world know, it's currently on again in Qatar (Kuh-tar with the accent on the first syllable). I say billions because an estimated 5 billion people around Planet Earth will watch the games this month and next.

There is a lot to learn from how the teams perform. This can easily be applied to schools. BTW - I'm only concentrating on the football here, rather than the swirling controversies that the media love to exploit.

The team and individuals within the team, the role of the manager, body language, dealing with a loss and adversity, dealing with sudden success, strength of character, stamina and so on.

This applies to many sports teams and competitions, I realise that, but the biggest month in football, the world's most popular game, is particularly ripe for analysis and application.

Like many, I was predicting Argentina would win this year's version, and they still might despite the loss to Saudi Arabia - it will depend on many factors if they do ultimately succeed. Leadership will undoubtably feature.

We are currently in the group stages. This is always fascinating. Some teams immediately standout with statement wins (France, Spain and England as I write this) and some have chastening losses (Argentina and Germany so far) but who knows what may happen next. Maybe teams flatter to deceive, and it's always dodgy to read too much into England's group form.

I love watching how the managers go about their man management and support. I love watching how the referees go about their business. Everyone has a different style.

More games tomorrow. Anything can happen. Therein lies the beauty of the FIFA World Cup 2022.

No comments: