Sunday, August 22, 2021

For all the shut-down strangers and hot rod angels (Bruce Springsteen)

Photo by Dev Asangbam on Unsplash

The blurring of home and work is still a thing for me during New Zealand's second full lockdown to eliminate the Delta variant of Covid-19 from our shores.

So far, this time around doesn't seem as bad, however (this is Day 6 of a seven day lockdown).

There was a novelty value to the first one a year ago, as it was uncharted territory.

This time, we all know what to expect. Plus we all suspect it is not over yet (from 1 case, Delta has spread to 72 in two cities with around 10,000 close contacts being traced).

My zoom class, which I've had since the start of the year, is doing a research assignment which makes things a little easier. Plus all teachers and staff have the Dyknow programme on our devices. This allows me to look at the screens of any of my Year 9 to 13 students in Gisborne and Hastings, as well as my Year 10 English class who are spread over 5 different campuses.

Dyknow has some great features - I can send a custom made message to a student or students and I can block material and/or lock a device if I need to.

This remote facility is awesome as it keeps students focussed and on track. I can then relax somewhat knowing that for the huge majority of them (for the majority of the time) they are doing just that. 

No comments: