Tuesday, December 1, 2020

What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie? (Dionne Warwick)

Photo by Cristofer Jeschke on Unsplash

As we conclude one cycle of teacher inquiries and embark on the next, it's a good time to take stock and re-establish the purpose of teacher enquiries.

What are they and why do them?

The Best Evidence Synthesis snazzily says that 'Teacher inquiry should be based on your students' learning needs, your own learning needs, and the impact of your practice on student learning and achievement'.

For me, that means finding an area that I am passionate about understanding and improving. It has to be worthwhile to me because it will likely last a year of careful reflection.

My next inquiry will focus on the motivations that drive my students to succeed in NCEA internal Achievement Standards and externals. 

I believe that the motivations are complex, and that there is a real imbalance and I want to investigate that for 2021.

As per my last teacher inquiry, you'll be reading about my progress in this blog from time to time.

No comments: