Monday, August 17, 2020

Quality...you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is (Robert M. Pirsig)

Photo by Milivoj Kuhar on Unsplash

It's time to celebrate noodling!

Here's Seth Godin on the subject:

If someone offers you “feedback,” your Spidey sense might start to tingle. Feedback isn’t often part of a warm and fuzzy feeling.

“Advice” is better. If you ask someone else for advice, you’re engaging them in your journey.

But, as Peter Shepherd points out, “noodling” is the best of all. When we start noodling over an idea, we can be sure that no one is going to get injured.

Currently I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for the fifth time. I'm a fan of Robert M. Pirsig's book and in particularly his noodling style. 

He writes his chautauqua (noodling his way through thoughts  on things like 'quality') interspersed with his noodling travelogue from Minnesota to California with his 11 year old son, Chris.

I come back to his thoughts about teaching writing and 'quality' again and again because I find my thinking develops each time I read it in my own noodling way.

And, Seth/Peter's right - no one is getting injured along the way.

No comments: