Tuesday, July 24, 2018

I'm still not sure what part I play, in this shadow play (Rory Gallagher)

Photo by Jack Finnigan on Unsplash
This shadowing lark has got me thinking.

How do I make the most of this situation for myself and for my incoming interim replacement?

It's 2018 - so I googled 'shadowing'.

As a consequence, some helpful suggestions popped up:

  • Tell the shadow about myself – my own education and career path, and my style of leadership
  • Explain the school ethos in general 
  • Take the shadow on a tour – introduce him to co-workers, show him around the office or site, and give an overview of what the work environment is like 
  • Set aside time for him to intentionally ask questions about the job and organisation
  • Show the shadow how I work – allow him to observe daily tasks as much as possible, such as specific projects, staff/parent/student meetings, routines like Thursday reports   
  • Suggest next action steps – guide the shadow toward more resources (human or otherwise)

I'm up for this experience but key to it working well will be the shadow's attitude. I've met plenty of senior managers who don't listen well, don't actually want to listen (thinking they are the complete bee's knees), or who don't engage with the process (for whatever reason).

Time will tell how this one works out!

1 comment:

Mand said...

I'm surprised you didn't add the comment ' just go with the flow' oh and maintain ... relentless positivity