Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Well we got no choice, all the boys and girls (Alice Cooper)

Photo by jean wimmerlin on Unsplash
For some reason I want to tell you about yesterday's school photo day. 

This year's version started with steady rain on the roof of the hall and a steady stream of students gathering for their class photos. A swimming-with-the-tide scene that is replicated in one form or another in pretty much every school on earth I suppose at one time or t'other.

Not a coincidence that all those fish (above picture) are presenting their best side. Apart from that one bottom right. There's always one!

At interval, after the obligatory staff photo, we had planned for a whole school photo outside on the courts. Right on cue the rain cleared up and the sun came out and dried up all the rain. And the itsy bitsy spi...

Sorry. I mean the kids.

...the kids buzzed themselves into year group rows and the photographer perched himself on top of the PE gear shed and took the shots that will become woven into the history of the school.

Shortly after that, the rain came down again. Perfect timing!

Why am I telling you all this?

Two reasons. 

One: I quipped to some boys this morning that all this effort was needed so that 30 years for now they could look back and marvel at how much hair they had.

Two: On the weekend, while sorting through my personal possessions I came across old photos from my time as a student (Royal Oak Primary, Manukau Intermediate, Mount Albert Grammar) and as a teacher at other schools. 

And I wondered. A lot. About all those people and the days when those photos were taken.

Prized possessions.

No comments: