Google published some meta-analysis results recently from within their own organisation about what makes a great Google manager.
Here they are in ranked order (first to last):
- Be a good coach;
- Empower your team and don't micromanage;
- Express interest in employee's success and well-being;
- Be productive and results-oriented;
- Be a good communicator and listen to your team;
- Help your employees with career development;
- Have a clear vision and strategy for the team; and
- Have key technical skills, so you can help advise the team.
I like this list.