Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Come on, come on, let's work together (Canned Heat)

Recently, the awesome Richard Branson explained his preferred method for meetings (the bane of many of our lives).

The great man: 
One of my favourite tricks is to conduct most of my meetings standing up. I find it to be a much quicker way of getting down to business, making a decision and sealing the deal. 
His other preferred mode of meeting is the walking meeting:


When given the opportunity I often like to take things a step further – literally, with a walking meeting. I sometimes even set myself a personal challenge of trying to come up with a plan of attack in the time it takes to walk around the block… five minutes, go!
Without meaning to, a couple of colleagues and I have used the walking meeting idea. 

Jane, Toni and I aim to go walkies at lunchtime at least once a week. We have teaching at Woodford House in common and so we often articulate (actually spitball is a better verb) in a relaxed way about random stuff: what's bothering us or what's going great or we bounce ideas around. 

I love these walks. Not only am I getting some exercise but I literally get away from school for 30 minutes and I have time to think and listen to their ideas and views. We are very different people and that's the beauty of doing this in a relaxed lunchtime walk: I get to hear their thoughts and they get to tease me...I mean, hear about mine.

Standing up and the walking about. Chur bro!

No comments: