Thursday, January 29, 2015

I want to hear the sound of the waters lapping on a higher ground (Jackson Browne)

Acting up is a phenomenon that we are embarking on big time at school for the first term this year.

Our new Principal doesn't start until Term 2 so that means we have four people acting up during the term.

It means three acting Senior Leaders, and one acting middle leader during this time. In addition to that, we have two brand new middle manager replacements starting.

To a point, I think this all creates some wonderful opportunities for these four people to experience a different role for the term. Their management development has the potential to be very valuable.

But is this too much of a good thing? 

Some may say that four acting up positions is excessive. Particularly as we'll have an acting Principal and an acting Deputy Principal - the two main leadership positions in the school.

Having been an acting Principal for a term in 2003 I know what a demanding role this can be, but I knew I was still, basically, keeping a seat warm. 

Like everything: who knows what's good or bad? It gave me an inkling of the role without providing a clear picture of its lonely responsibility.

The school that is supplying our new Principal has obviously dug its toes in and decided to be staunch over the notice period she needs to serve.

A huge pity. For her.

I also know how difficult it is to NOT start the new job at the beginning of the new school year. It immediately makes you start on the back foot, and means the rest of the year is a lengthy period of adjustment. 

If I had been her Principal I would have shipped her off early and then others would have acted up for her. Lost opportunity. A lack of vision.

Funny old life innit?!

No comments: