Wednesday, September 13, 2023

One good day does not mean you can coast tomorrow (James Clear)

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash


Thomas Oppong has created 100 habits for a great life.

One hundred. That's a lot to take on. So I'll pick a few that I think are worth passing on (my responses in itallics). More in the next post.

Email is the biggest time suck. If you don’t plan to deal with incoming emails, you will spend all your time reacting to what others want. Set aside time to deal with it. Period 1 in the LC works for me - the students are generally quietly getting into their day, and so am I.

For better energy and strong concentration, choose a healthy breakfast (whole grains, protein and healthy fats). With that in mind I've recently changed my habit away from sugary cereals to Weetbix - 97% wholegrain wheat. I have the cholesterol lowering version.

When you start work, remove all distractions from your work environment before starting actual work –noise, notifications, email tabs, etc. Assume focus or productive mode with calming music. This jazz piano playlist usually gets a workout from me in the hour I have at work before anyone else arrives. This Mozart meditation album is good too.

Schedule time for nature walks — even just 10 minutes outside and close to more trees can do wonders for your mood. I aim for 22 minutes at lunchtime each day (the time it takes for me to walk around the sports park next to the campus). It does wonders!

End your day with a tidy desk ready for the next day, so you don’t have to spend your morning getting ready for work. I don't have an office - wherever my device and diary are is where I work so it's easy to pack away each day.

No comments: