Sunday, August 7, 2022

My problem is you (Jackson Browne)

Photo by Egor Myznik on Unsplash

George Couros recently wrote about being paralysed with indecision through too much choice. He mentioned Barry Schwartz's TED talk on the paradox of choice - worth a look.

...as the number of choices keeps growing, negative aspects of having a multitude of options begin to appear. As the number of choices grows further, the negatives escalate until we become overloaded. At this point, choice no longer liberates but debilitates. It might even be said to tyrannize.Barry Schwartz

On a minor scale I sometimes have the same issue with all of the great things coming into my inbox.

Currently I appear to have too many to handle because I don't get time to access them through my day and they quickly mount up.

Weekly newsletters are one thing: James Whatley; Austin Kleon; Warren Ellis; Edutopia Weekly; James Clear; Swiss Miss; George himself - I do get to them eventually in my week. 

The daily ones are the tricky ones I find: Leadership Freak; Seth Godin; Literary Hub; Morning Brew.

Yes - too much choice can lead to issues.

Of those the one I neglect the most is the Literary Hub. It's great but it's the one I often delete without reading.

A dilly of a pickle.

No comments: