Recently, while cleaning up my bookmarks, I came across the Eight Habits of Highly Effective Google Managers list again.
You're busy, so just a quick refresher for you - the top five (and it's in order of importance) are:
- Be a good coach;
- Empower your team and don't micromanage;
- Express interest in employee's success and well-being;
- Be productive and results-oriented;
- Be a good communicator and listen to your team;
I love this list!
The top habit is be a good coach.
What does that mean?
Luckily, I can tell you, because I have always had this list pinned to my wall (or in my teacher's planbook).
Here's what it says:
- Talk with your employees, not at them!
- Don't exaggerate situations or behaviour
- Talk about behaviour, not attitudes
- Aim not to assume stuff (seek first to understand)
- Follow up!
- Reward improvements.
I love this list too. I gaze at it frequently.
Be a good coach!