Thursday, June 20, 2019

I've got Friday on my mind (The Easybeats)

Photo by Nicole Honeywill on Unsplash
Yes, it's Friyay.

This has been a looooong week for me. Monday morning: I drove the four hours to my Gisborne campus for two great days there. Tuesday afternoon: I drove the four hours back home to Takapau. Hump Wednesday at my Hawke's Bay campus: tough getting back into stride (I kept thinking it was Monday all day). Thursday was great - refreshed and on top of things.

And now it's Friday. I tell my students: it's a rule. Gotta be happy on a Friday. The end of the working week.

I note the following in passing:
  • In astrology, Friday is connected with the planet Venus and is symbolized by that planet's symbol ♀. Friday is also associated with the astrological signs Libra and Taurus. I'm a Libra and mum was a Taurus.
  • Though Friday has always been held an unlucky day in many Christian countries, still in the Hebrides it is supposed that it is a lucky day for sowing the seed. 
  • In Islam, Friday corresponds as a holy day to Sunday in Christianity. Friday observance includes attendance at a mosque for congregation prayer or Salat AlJumu'ah. It is considered a day of peace and mercy as well as a day of rest.
  • Black Friday refers to any one of several historical disasters that happened on Fridays, and, in a general sense, to any Friday the thirteenth. 
  • Casual Friday (also called Dress-down, Aloha or Country and Western Friday) is a relaxation of the formal dress code employed by some corporations for the last day of the working week.
  • Good Friday is the Friday before Easter in the Christian calendar. It commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus.
  • POETS Day is a term used by workers in the United Kingdom and Australia to refer to Friday, the last day of the work week. It commonly stands for "Piss Off Early; Tomorrow's Saturday".

No comments: