Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Goin' mobile (The Who)


viral
ˈvʌɪr(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of the nature of, caused by, or relating to a virus or viruses.
  2. 2.
    (of an image, video, piece of information, etc.) circulated rapidly and widely from one Internet user to another.

    "a viral ad campaign"
noun
  1. 1.
    an image, video, piece of information, etc. that is circulated rapidly and widely on the Internet.

    "the rise of virals in online marketing"

Goin' viral. Specifically: the urge to go viral.

I suspect it's aligned to the modern craving for celebrity status, a hunger for one's 15 minutes of fame.

So, it's a slightly twice shy goal of mine, this need for popularity, but I'm heartened by the fact that going viral is a total fluke.

Basically there is no formula for going viral. Something resonates, is shared widely and then, boom = viral.

Thinking about it, I can only see it happening on this blog or Wozza's Place. That's where the original content lies. Well those two and Goo Goo G-Joob, but I can't see my music blog hitting those freakish conditions easily.

With that and Austin Kleon's example in mind, I've started a notebook to collect my idle thoughts about potential post topics for my blogs (yes, writing about going viral is in there).

The clock is ticking; I have a year. 

No comments: